Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
I've just made this for dinner, it's really great! :) I added lots of black pepper, but that's a personal preference. Preparation time does not include marinating time. NOTE: It's supposed to be black rice vinegar, not black vinegar :/ Instructions on OAMC have been added.
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon black vinegar (or substitute white rice vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons gingerroot, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 slice beef, uncooked (your favourite cut, I presume. The one my mum bought simply said "for barbecuing")
- 1 whole wheat pita bread
- Combine the soy sauce, black rice vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, garlic and black pepper in a small bowl (do not use metal).
- Stab your beef with a fork.
- Add the beef to the marinade. Make sure it's evenly coated!
- Cover with foil and leave in the fridge to marinate, from 1/2 hour to 3 hours, depending on how strong you like the flavours.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Slice the pita bread into half carefully and grill it until toasted. Remove and put on a plate.
- Remove your beef from the fridge and pour whatever remaining marinade into a frying pan.
- Heat until it starts to bubble, then add your beef.
- (Depending on how you like your beef to be cooked, and also the cooking time here will change.).
- Cook for about 2 minutes on each side, turning beef with a pair of tongs.
- Put a leaf of lettuce on your pita bread, followed by tomato, then the beef and another leaf of lettuce.
- Devour. Warning: it's gonna get messy.
- OAMC INSTRUCTIONS:.
- To freeze: place marinade ingredients and meat in a zip top bag. Freeze.
- To serve: Thaw and cook as desired.
This was a very interesting and unusual recipe that reminded me of as Asian taco. My teenaged daughter liked these a lot as she likes sandwiches and fast food kinds of things, as well as Chinese food. Next time I might add some kind of sauce to go with this, perhaps hoisin? Thank you for posting!
Nice marinade. It does have a very asian flavor. I quadrupled the recipe and marinated a 1 lb flank steak. I forgot to pick up pitas, so we had ours on a salad. Very nice, light and easy dinner. I made this for the OAMC freezer tag challenge. To freeze: place marinade ingredients and meat in a zip top bag. Freeze. To serve: Thaw and cook as desired. Weight Watchers: 1 pt for marinade. Pita and meat points will vary.