Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe comes to me via one of my students and his mother. Since I was shown in person, my notes were poor so I used a recipe from a Korean church bulletin along with their instructions. This is really easy and yummy. Enjoy!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, pounded lightly cut in narrow strips
- 4 -5 cups sodium-free chicken broth, warmed (homemade is best)
- 1 lb Baby Spinach
- 1⁄2 lb button mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄4 lb snow pea pods
- fresh peeled gingerroot, minced (about the size of a child's thumb)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds, divided
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 12 whole walnuts, broken in large pieces
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 2 green onions, chopped, white tops only
- 5 -6 cups steamed white rice
- Place the following in bowl or freeze bag: ginger root,1 clove garlic, 1 tbsp oil, 2 tbsp soy, and 1 tbsp sesame seeds. Add chicken and marinate two to four hrs in cool spot.
- Combine beef, egg, 1 clove garlic, 2 tbsp each of soy, oil, and sesame seed.
- Form into walnut sized balls with a piece of walnut meat in the middle. Roll balls in cornstarch and then in the egg.
- Brown lightly in 1 tbsp oil, remove from pan and set aside.
- Heat pan to medium high, add 1/2 tbsp oil and saute snow peas 2-3 minutes; add mushrooms and continue with saute until mushrooms release their liquid. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add chicken and saute. Discard marinate.
- Blanch spinach in boiling water until just limp. Drain.
- Arrange meat and vegetables in Dutch oven or chafing dish.
- Add broth carefully and simmer to keep warm. Top with egg and green onion.
- Place rice in individual bowls. Serve mixture over over rice. End this meal with eating broth with or without rice.