Recipe by Bergy
Wonderful Appetizer! You can also make these to take along on a picnic - keep in a cooler if you use shrimp or other meat or have them vegetarian. Try using left over chicken, vegetables or other meats. In Korea this is called "Pajon" and is a typical street vendor food. Use chopsticks or you fingers. This recipe was originally from Eating Well Magazine (1993)
Top Review by Rita~
This was a lot of FUN! We just loved this. I used 1 tablespoon vinegar in place of 1 1/2 teaspoon. Also added fresh grated ginger and hot sesame oil. All for the dipping sauce. I did need more egg for the second batter. Skipped the chives. Thanks for a great recipe.
- 3 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons rice vinegar (or cider vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted and ground
- 3 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 lb small cooked shrimp
- 10 green onions, trimmed, quartered lengthwise and cut into 3-inch lengths
- 1 small zucchini, ends trimmed and sliced int fine julienne, 3-inch long
- 1 large carrot, peeled, cut into fine julienne 3-inch long
- 1⁄4 cup fresh chives, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Dipping sauce: combine soy sauce, cilantro 1 chopped green onion, vinegar, sugar & sesame seeds. Leave at room temp or refrigerate.
- Pancakes: Beat 1 egg and 2 egg whites together with a fork.
- Whisk in the flour, 1 tbsp oil, and water.
- Batter should be smooth and medium thick.
- Let the batter rest for 20 minutes.
- Cooking the Pancakes:.
- Beat remaining eggs & egg whites.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a skillet or a large non stick griddle, medium-low heat.
- Pour out approx 1/2 cup batter (6-8" circle).
- Lay 1 fourth of the shrimp on top of the pancake along with 1/4 of the green onions, carrots, zucchini, & chives.
- While the pancake is cooking spoon 1/4 of remaining batter over the pancake to fill the spaces between the veggies. After approx 3-5 minutes when the egg mixture has begun to set flip the pancake. Cook until browned pressing down quite hard with a wide spatula to ensure the batter cooks through. Repeat with remaining batter, shrimp & veggies.
- You may refrigerate the pancakes and serve cold or serve fresh at room temperature. To serve, cut the pancakes into wedges and serve with the dipping sauce on the side.