Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
From "A Korean Mother's Cooking Notes". This is THE best Korean Pork recipe that I have ever had. Extremely authentic. My sister's Korean MIL, makes it for all her church functions because everyone raves about it.
- 1 lb pork roast or 1 lb pork butt, not too lean
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons red pepper paste, kochu jang
- 2 tablespoons wine or 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- It is easiest if you get thinly sliced pork roast in a Korean market. If you get the whole roast, freeze slightly and slice thinly, about 1/8-1/4 inch thin, score meat lightly. Set aside into mixing bowl.
- Mix rest of ingredients together and pour into bowl with the meat. Using hands knead the meat making sure that the marinade covers each piece completely.
- Set meat aside into refrigerator to marinate for at least 1/2 hour.
- You can grill or broil the meat. I would lay some foil down first and poke holes into the foil. Or you can fry it in a hot pan coated with a little oil.
- Cook meat until lightly browned.
- Serve with plenty of steamed rice and your choice of Asian vegetables.
Excellent!!! Thanks for posting this.
One great recipe! I can't believe I haven't reviewed this one as it's one I have made many times in the past year. Your wonderful recipe#191128 had me know I needed to find more recipes using those lovely ingredients. I followed with this lovely Korean Fire Pork and it too was a hit. Love that kochu jang! Love those mom recipes too - they always seem to be winners! Thank you Grace and thank your sister's MIL for sharing a recipe that is so enjoyed at our house.
My family really enjoyed this recipe. I cut the curry paste down to 1/4 tsp, which was just enough to realize there was some heat but not over power the flavour of the meat. This is easy to make and a crowd pleaser. Thanks for the recipe.