Recipe by charlie #5
I crave this wonderful salad all the time. My mother always made what I thought was the best cucumber and onion salad. That is, until my friend Betty served me this. Mmmm... You won't go back after this. When choosing fresh bean sprouts, choose those that are crisp and haven't sprouted too much. Don't use alfalfa sprouts; use bean sprouts like Mung bean sprouts. For a change, it might be nice with a little chopped jalapeno. It's a great side to any oriental meal or with grilled meats. I sometimes like the contrast of the black sesame seeds, but I often use the regular kind. This salad is best eaten within a day or two. Unsure yield.
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh bean sprouts, washed
- 2 cups water
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, sliced in half long ways, cut in 1/4 slices
- 1⁄2 lb imitation crabmeat, shredded
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, peeled, sliced thin
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the washed bean sprouts in 2 C water for 7 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Mix bean sprouts with cucumber, crab, and onion. Thoroughly mix the salt, pepper, garlic, vinegar, and sugar and add it to the vegetables and crab.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Add the sesame seeds just prior to serving.