Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This salad is made with a popular Korean green called crown daisy (sukkgat) also known as chrysanthemum leaves .Crown daisy leaves have a hearty texture but a mild flavor and are eaten throughout Asia and parts of the Mediterranean.The leaves have been used in folk medicine as a tonic for the liver,blood,and intestines and to control anemia and high blood pressure.You could substitute any lettuce or greens of your choice in this recipe.I find that 2 teaspoons of Asian fish sauce makes an acceptable substitute for the anchovy if not available.
- 1 lb crown daisy greens
- 2 green onions
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon salted anchovy (myolchi chot)
- 1 tablespoon korean rice wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes (Korean pepper if available)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Wash and dry crown daisy leaves.Tear into bite sized pieces.
- Slice green onion as thinly as possible;peel,crush ,and mince garlic;work the salted anchovy into a smooth paste with the blade of your knife.Mix with all of the remaining ingredients.
- Toss dressing with leaves and chill for 20 minutes for the flavors to develop.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.