Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my absolute favorite way to make fried wings. You can also dump the wings straight into the oil without flouring first - the wings end up crispy but without the "battered" coating. This recipe will also work with unthawed individually frozen wings.
- 5 lbs chicken wings
- 1 -2 cup flour
- oil (for frying)
- 1⁄2 cup mild soy sauce (don't use Kikkoman, it will be too salty!)
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 stalks green onions, minced
- 1 hot chili pepper, crushed
- Heat oil for deep frying, usually 375°F.
- Mix together sauce ingredients until sugar is dissolved.
- Roll wings in flour and deep fry. When golden brown, remove from oil and immediately dip in sauce. Lift out right away, don't soak it!
This sauce is good!! It has a little too much sugar for my taste. It kind of overtook the flavors of the onion and garlic a little bit. I made it a few hours before frying the wings so that the flavors could meld together. The sugar didn't dissolve very well, so I poured the sauce into a pan and brought it to a boil and then turned the heat down to low and kept it warm until the fired were done. That brought the flavors out more. I think next time I make this, I will cut the sugar down to 4 tablespoons. Other than the sugar, this is a great recipe!! Thanks chilicat!!