Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Marinated chicken cooked with gochu jang (korean red pepper paste) available at asian markets. I found this recipe on the internet @ myEthnicWorld.com and we love it. I make it regularly.
- 2 lbs skinless chicken pieces, loose skin and fat discarded
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 5 tablespoons korean red pepper paste (less for a milder dish)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Cut the chicken into 3-inch pieces.
- Divide the wings.
- Mix the chicken with the sugar and marinate for an hour.
- (I used boneless breast and a Zip-Lock bag works well)
- Mix together the other seasonings (all but the water) and marinate for another hour or more.
- Pour the water into a pan and bring to a boil. Add the chicken and the marinade and simmer, covered, for 1/2 hour over low heat, stirring occasionally. This will be enough to cook the chicken and evaporate most of the liquid.
- Serve warm with rice, salads, and kimchi.
I've love this dish. I use either chicken legs or chicken thighs (skin removed) and I add baby carrots instead of the sugar and sometimes throw in a couple small zucchini.