1/3 Photos of Korean Cabbage Kimchi
72 hrs 20 mins
Benthe (Danish)'s Note:
This recipe is a combination of 3 different recipes, that come the closest to the kimchi I prefer. The favorite kimchi vegetable is Chinese (or Napa) cabbage. The Koreans ferment it in enormous quantities. They then pack the kimchi into huge earthenware jars, bury the jars in the ground up to the neck, and cover the lids with straw until the kimchi is needed. Kimchi almost always includes hot pepper, usually dried and either ground or crushed into flakes. Because the ground dried hot pepper sold in Korean markets is generally fairly mild, Koreans can use generous quantities. Some of the Mexican (and New Mexican) ground peppers now sold in supermarkets are comparable. If you can't find ground pepper with a moderate heat level, you might combine sweet paprika and cayenne to suit your taste. Cooking time equals fermenting time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dissolve the 3 tablespoons salt in the water.
- 2Cut the cabbage into cut into 2-inch squares.
- 3Put the cabbage into a large bowl, a crock, or a nonreactive pot, and pour the brine over it.
- 4Weight the cabbage down with a plate.
- 5Let the cabbage stand for 12 hours.
- 6Drain the cabbage, reserving the brine.
- 7Mix the cabbage with the remaining ingredients, including the 1 teaspoon salt.
- 8Pack the mixture into a 2-quart jar.
- 9Pour enough of the reserved brine over the cabbage to cover it.
- 10Push a freezer bag into the mouth of the jar, and pour the remaining brine into the bag. Seal the bag.
- 11Let the kimchi ferment in a cool place, at a temperature no higher than 68° F, for 3 to 6 days, until the kimchi is as sour as you like.
- 12Remove the brine bag, and cap the jar tightly.
- 13Store the kimchi in the refrigerator, where it will keep for months.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Korean Cabbage Kimchi
Serving Size: 1 (207 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 16.4
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1948.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 1.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
korean red pepper powder