Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
The sauce is simple, and the meat is tender.
korean barbecue sauce
- 1 cup Kikkoman soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup sake or 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 4 slices gingerroot, julienned
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 cup apple juice concentrate (no water added)
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 4 lbs barbecue beef ribs
- KOREAN BARBECUE SAUCE.
- Place all the ingredients but the sesame oil in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cook 10 minutes, uncovered; then remove from the heat and add the sesame oil. Store in a covered glass or plastic container in the refrigerator.
- THE BEEF.
- Purchase four pounds of beef barbecue ribs cut across the grain into 2-inch pieces, Korean or Japaese style. Your butcher will understand. Have the butcher cut them about 1/4 inch thick.
- Rub each rib with sesame oil and then marinate in a bit of Korean Barbecue Sauce.
- Grill the ribs over high heat or charcoal, turning once, until tender. Do not overcook this delicacy.