1/2 Photos of Korean Braised Short Ribs (Galbi Jim)
1 hr 15 mins
Spice Boy's Note:
At my place, we do theme dinner parties, and this one was from Korean night. I had tried different versions of this recipe, and after mixing and matching, I like this one the best. The addition of Sriracha - an Asian chile/garlic paste also known as "Rooster Sauce" - was my embellishment, and probably not authentic - but I like sweet & spicy! The authentic preparation calls for bone-in short ribs to get more flavor, but I have to admit, I've done it with boneless, and I actually like it better that way. I served it with rice and a Korean cold spinach-sesame salad known as Shigmchi Namul, which I'll post also. Two words: Rave Reviews! They went back for seconds and thirds!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 44.37 ml sugar
- 59.14 ml soy sauce
- 59.14 ml sherry wine
- 14.79-29.58 ml hot sauce (Sriracha, or your favorite hot sauce to taste)
- 14.79 ml mirin (or 1 Tbsp honey)
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, grated
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 14.79 ml sesame seeds
- 14.79 ml sesame oil
- 1 Asian pear, peeled and chopped
- 680.38 g beef short ribs, bone-in (about 4)
- 2 small potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1Mix together all ingredients except ribs, asian pear, potatoes, and carrots. Score the ribs and pour the marinade over. Marinate for about an hour in the refrigerator, or overnight. (Marinating is optional).
- 2Pour the ribs and marinade into a large pot over high heat. Liquid should come at least halfway up to the level of the ribs; add water if necessary.
- 3When liquid comes to a full boil, cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and turn the heat down to simmer.
- 4Cook for 90 minutes to 1 hour, until meat is tender. Add the Asian pear, potato and carrot about 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
- 5Serve with rice.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Korean Braised Short Ribs (Galbi Jim)
Serving Size: 1 (378 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 909.6
- Calories from Fat 597
- Total Fat 66.4 g
- Saturated Fat 27.4 g
- Cholesterol 129.2 mg
- Sodium 1237.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 14.2 g
- Protein 29.3 g