Recipe by Deantini
This recipe is another winner from Toronto Star - we made it tonight and just loved it. A fun way to have the kids eat their lettuce, too. Beef needs to marinate 2-12 hours, so plan ahead when making this meal
Top Review by Coasty
This was very tasty and made easier as the local Asian butcher has the beef already sliced for bulgogi. I marinated double the quantity and put 3/4 of it in small portions in the freezer for later. Thanks for posting Deantini. Made for ZWT 6.
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 5 tablespoons water
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup onion, peeled and pureed
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons white wine (rice wine) or 2 teaspoons mirin (rice wine)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1⁄2 black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 lbs flank steaks (other steak such as marinating beef, rib eye etc will also work)
- 1 head iceberg lettuce (or other leaf lettuce)
- toasted sesame seeds
- roasted whole garlic clove
- red pepper paste or hot sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 9 ingredients (soy - black pepper).
- Slice the steaks across the grain into thin slices.
- Place beef in resealable ziplock bag and pour soy mixture over. Let marinate in refridgerator for 2-12 hours, turning bag occoationally.
- Heat large non-stick skillet or wok over medium-high to high heat. Pour beef and marinade into the skilled and cook until mixture is almost dry, 6-8 minute
- Toast sesame seeds and garlic in hot pan.
- (We had quite a bit of marinade left and it was wonderful spooned over some white rice).
- Serve with lettuce leaves, toasted sesame seeds and toasted garlic cloves and perhaps some hot sauce if you like it hot.
- You roll the beef and condiments up in the lettuce leaf and eat like a roll with your hands.
- Serve with white rice.