Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
My brother made this up because I wanted him to make ribs for a July 4th BBQ of about 20 people half of whom are children. This is simple and easy to prepare. Everyone loved it. We made about 25 pounds of ribs and ran out. Late comers had to eat hamburgers and hot dogs. We were inexperienced grillers and did not pay attention to the gooey drippings in the grill. The next day we almost set the wood fence on fire due to the grease fire from the drippings in the grill. Clean the grill after making this dish and empty out the grease catcher. Preparation and cooking time does not include time to marinate.
- 5 lbs beef short ribs (cut crosswise about 1/4-inch thick)
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 bunch green onion, finely chopped green and white parts
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- lots napkin
- Wash the ribs in a sink of cool water, drain and dry with paper towels.
- Put ribs in large container. Sprinkle with sugar, black pepper, onions and soy sauce. Use your hands, rub mixture into ribs, making sure all surfaces have a coating. This should be a damp mixture, not a liquidy marinate. More juice will come from the ribs as they marinate.
- Cover container and marinate ribs in refrigerator at least 2 hours. Overnight is recommended.
- Leave ribs at room temperature for about 30 minutes before grilling.
- Make sure the grease catcher in your grill is cleaned out and empty. Make sure the grill is not close to the wooden fence or anything else that may be flamable.
- Line grill with aluminum foil (top and bottom) because it's going to get messy.
- Heat grill on high until hot.
- Mix up the ribs, putting the gooey brown mixture with onions at the bottom of the container on the ribs. Put ribs on grill, do not crowd ribs. Grill on medium high for about 4 to 5 minutes per side. I prefer my ribs slightly charred. The burnt edges are the best part.
- Watch the grill because there may be grease and sugar fire flare ups. Stand by with a water spray bottle to put out the fires.
- Serve hot with white rice and kimchi for Asian style, or with coleslaw, macaroni salad or potato salad for American style and lots of napkins.
- Then clean out the grill and empty the grease catcher.