Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Vegetarian Times: "Marinate 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of sliced tofu, tempeh, seitan, or portobello mushroom caps for 30 minutes to 3 hours, then sear over high heat until caramelized around the edges. Top with toasted sesame seeds and chopped green onions."
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium soy sauce or 1⁄2 cup tamari
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine or 1⁄4 cup sake or 1⁄4 cup mirin
- 6 garlic cloves, minced (2 Tbs.)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Whisk together soy sauce, sugar, sherry, garlic, sesame oil, and 1/2 cup cold water in saucepan.
- Simmer over medium heat 5 to 6 minutes, or until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in ground black pepper to taste. Cool to room temperature before using.