Recipe by AmandaInOz
Nigerian Bean Cakes. This is a recipe from my husband's step mum who lived in Nigeria for 15 years. Cooking time does not include soaking. The koose will expand a little during frying. Start with small scoops and adjust if necessary. The batter will be thin.
Top Review by French Tart
Absolutley 100% authentic - I lived in Africa when I was little, and I remember a friend of my mum making something like these - I LOVED them then, as I do now! As my mum is a vegetarian, I made these one night for her, whilst the rest of us chomped away on steak and chicken!! However, she had to fight us meat eaters off them - a great recipe and VERY tasty - we loved the heat, but added some salt and pepper, and then the seasoning was just right! No photos - as I see you have one of Engrossed's famous photos.......I did not like to take over!! Made for ZWT4 - a keeper for us! Merci! FT:-)
- 1⁄2 lb black-eyed peas (beans)
- 2 chili peppers, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 ounces water
- oil (for deep frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak beans for 24 hours in cold water.
- Rinse the beans or skin them by rubbing between your hands while rinsing under running water.
- Blend all ingredients in a food processor.
- Pour mixture into a bowl and hand whisk for 2-3 minutes to aerate.
- Heat oil in a pan and carefully drop small balls of the mixture into the oil from a spoon.
- Fry until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Serve hot or cold with chili sauce.