- 1 empty mayonnaise jar
- 1⁄4 cup boiling water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package Kool-Aid
- 1 barbecue skewer (we always used a clean nail, but RZ doesn't recognize "nail")
- 1 length string
- 1 pencil
Directions See How It's Made
- Fill a clean, empty mayonnaise jar with 1/4 cup boiling hot water. Slowly add 2 cups sugar and 1 package of Kool-Aid. Stir well.
- Attach a nail to one end of a string and pencil to the other end of the string.
- Place the pencil on the mouth of the jar so the nail hangs down into the thick sugar without touching the bottom of the jar.
- Place the jar in a warm place and let it stand for a few days. The water evaporates and colorful rocky sugar crystals form on the string.