Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I have not tried this recipe. I got the recipe from Schwans.
Make and share this Kookie Bars recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs schwans frozen refrigerated chocolate chip cookie dough, thawed
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup caramel topping
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 12 ounces chocolate frosting
- Heat oven to 375.
- Thaw 30 pieces Schwan's cookie dough.
- Press cookie dough and 1/2 cup pecans into ungreased 9"x13" baking pan. Pour caramel topping over the top and set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, peanut butter, sugar, egg and vanilla; stir until well blended. Sprinkle over caramel topping and press down.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool then spread with frosting and sprinkle with 1/2 cup pecan pieces. To make it easier to cut into bars, you can put pan in the freezer for 30 minutes.
This recipe just did not work for us at all as it is written, but I am giving it 4 stars because it did work with some changes. Initially, I used Mrs. Fields Chocolate Chip Cookies for the base, Mrs. Fields Chocolate Chip Cookies for the caramel topping, Mrs. Fields Chocolate Chip Cookies for the frosting. I ended up doing the whole recipe a second time, exactly as written and using store-bought items, and came up with the same results: the caramel topping bubbles up through the peanut butter layer and becomes too brown in some spots, and creates a raised edge around the edges of the pan. The peanut butter layer is extremely dry and crumbly, (which I am assuming it should be because the directions say 'sprinkle the topping'), but it just does not bake up well. The whole thing looks pretty under the layer of frosting, and the taste is pretty good-when you get a bite that holds together and isn't overly browned. So we played with the recipe a bit, and I had great success doing the following- baking the cookie layer and letting it cool, then drizling on some caramel topping. I use Reeses Squares - 5 Ingredients & No Bake (Reese's) for the peanut butter layer (the graham crackers, butter, powdered sugar, and peanut butter), then covering with a chocolate frosting and a drizzle of caramel sauce. Still very sweet, but very very good!