Recipe by Taylor in Belgium
Always a favorite way to serve rabbit in Belgium, using the popular Kriek or cherry beer. Also served with french/belgian fries.
Top Review by Chef Lanibobonnie
Your recipe is quite tasty and I made very little change; just added some celery and quartered the onion and sliced rather than dicing small. I used the Madeira and loved the taste. I also baked it at 350 for an hour and then 15 minutes with the lid off. Thank you for posting this, I will make it again :)
- 1 cut up rabbit
- 1 small amout fat, to fry rabbit in
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, cubed in small blocks
- 1 apple, cubed in small blocks
- 3 sliced smoked bacon, finely diced
- 1 bottle dark beer or 1 bottle cherry/kriek beer or 1 glass madeira wine
- bay leaf
- 1 slice bread, large
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the rabbit pieces in the fat.
- Sprinkle a little sugar over all and add all ingredients except the bread and mustard.
- Cover with lid and let simmer until rabbit is tender.
- Spread mustard on slice of bread.
- Take rabbit pieces from sauce and lay bread slice in sauce and stir until sauce is thickened.
- Serve with fries and applesauce.