Konafah is a middle-eastern dessert dish made of Phyllo dough and Riccota cheese.You have to buy a special dough "Shredded Phillo Dough" (Kataifi) from a Middle Eastern store.This Konafah recipe uses nuts as filling, but there are several other recipes that use other ingredients like ricotta cheese.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Walnut or Pistachio Filling
- 1Make Syrup with:.
- 21 cup sugar.
- 31/4 cup water.
- 42 tsp lemon juice.
- 51 tsp orange blossom water.
- 6Cream Filling.
- 72 tablespoons ground rice.
- 81 tablespoons sugar.
- 91 1/2 cups milk.
- 102 Tbsp cup heavy cream.
- 11Walnut or Pistachios Filling.
- 121 cup walnuts and pistachios; chopped.
- 131 tbsp sugar
- 14Prepare the syrup by combining all and simmering over medium heat until thickened. Stir in orange blossom water and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- 15Cream filling:.
- 16Mix ground rice and sugar to a smooth paste with 1/2 the milk.
- 17Boil the rest of the milk and add the ground rice paste slowly, stirring continuously. Simmer until thick.
- 18Let cool, add cream and mix well.
- 19Walnut or pistachio filling:.
- 20Mix the chopped nuts with sugar. Put the konafa pastry in a large bowl and pull apart to separate the strands as much as possible. Pour melted butter over them and work it in thoroughly.
- 21Put half of the pastry in a large, deep oven dish. Spread either filling over it evenly.
- 22Cover with the remaining pastry and flattening out with the palm of your hand.
- 23Bake at uncovered 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- 24Then increase temperature to 400 degrees for an additional 10 minutes or longer until it is golden.
- 25Remove from the oven and immediately pour the cold syrup over the hot konafa. Serve hot or cold.
- 26It is delicious when still warm.
Nutritional Facts for Konafa
Serving Size: 1 (197 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 889.4
- Calories from Fat 500
- Total Fat 55.6 g
- Saturated Fat 26.3 g
- Cholesterol 104.9 mg
- Sodium 439.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 89.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 38.2 g
- Protein 11.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
orange blossom water