Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This has been around for a while, a recreation of Kona Cafe at Disney's Polynesian Resort. The addition of smoked almonds thrill me. If Asian pears are not available, you can substitute fresh peaches, strawberries, or other berries. Chill your salad bowls. It makes for a much better salad.
- 3 unpeeled Asian pears, cored and thinly sliced
- 9 cups spring greens (1 pound bag) or 9 cups gourmet mixed salad greens (1 pound bag)
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 3⁄4 cup smoked almonds, chopped in large pieces
- 6 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil or 1⁄2 cup mild-flavored vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, gently toss pears, salad mix, blue cheese, onion, and almonds. In a separate bowl, mix orange juice, rice vinegar and sugar. Whisk in canola oil, salt and pepper. Pour over salad and gently toss; serve immediately.
What a delicious salad with the pears, blue cheese and almonds. Of course, the dressing really makes this salad with the fresh orange juice and rice wine vinegar. I used oranges from my neighbor's tree and it made the dressing so light and fresh. Will definitely keep this salad recipe handy as it will compliment a number of different dishes.