Recipe by Vegetarian Network Austin
This recipe was featured in our April/May 2010 newsletter. It was submitted by Elizabeth Bruns, R.D., L.D., VNA-LSVN (Lone Star Vegetarian Network) Liaison. Her source was Vegetarians in Paradise at www.vegparadise.com.
- 1 -2 cup brown rice
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 -2 tablespoon water
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 lb firm tofu, squeezed and cubed
- 1 large carrot, cut into julienne sticks about 2 inches long
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 zucchini, cut into thick julienne sticks about 2 inches long
- 1⁄2 lb portabella mushroom, sliced thick
- 1 cup coconut (1 cup shredded fresh or dried coconut)
- 1 ounce dried apples or 1 ounce mangoes or 1 ounce papaya, diced
- 1 tablespoon vegetarian oyster sauce (mushroom) or 1⁄2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 dashes Tabasco sauce
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Make brown rice.
- Heat oil in large, deep skillet.
- Add tofu cubes and vegetables and sauté over high heat until veggies are
- softened, about 7-8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add water if necessary to keep veggies from drying out.
- Turn heat down and add coconut, apple, soy sauce and Tabasco.
- Stir well and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to serving dish and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Serve over brown rice.