Recipe by Member #610488
This recipe comes from the Greek island of Corfu. Can be made with squash or pumpkin.
- 2 1⁄4 lbs zucchini, grated
- 7⁄8 cup kefalotyri, cheese, grated
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons chopped of fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 7⁄8 cup toasted breadcrumbs or 7⁄8 cup crushed zwieback cookies
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- all-purpose flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Place zucchini in a colander or strainer, add salt, and let sit to drain for 15-20 minutes. Before using, press to remove all excess moisture.
- Drain grated carrot and onion.
- In a frying pan, melt the margarine, add grated onion, and sauté until translucent.
- In a mixing bowl, add zucchini, grated carrot, drained onion, cheese, bread crumbs, mint, dill, eggs, and pepper. Mix well with hands until all ingredients are well blended and the mixture is firm.
- Add flour to bind if there's too much liquid.
- Shape into patties about 2 1/2 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch high.
- Fry in hot oil until golden, about 2-3 minutes. Drain on absorbent paper towels and serve hot.