Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Greek with Gusto! " A truly ethnic and delicious Greek Dish"
- 6 medium zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 6 tomatoes, sliced or 1 (19 ounce) can canned tomatoes, drained & Chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups feta cheese
- 3⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine (can use water but its better with wine) (optional)
- salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- Preheat broiler.
- Wash zucchini, pat dry and slice lengthwise into slices about 1/4 inch thick. Brush both sides lightly with olive oil, arrange on baking sheet and broil until golden. Set aside.
- Lightly oil an 8 x 12 inch casserole. Alternately layer zucchini, onion slices, tomato, feta, parsley, salt and pepper, ending with zucchini. Top with crumbled feta. Add wine (or water if you must), dot with butter (if you want) and bake, uncovered, in a preheated 375°F oven for 30 minutes or until ingredients are bubbling and topping is slightly browned.
I really liked all the tastes together, but I would have liked a little more crunch, so next time I would use the same ingredients but put them on a large baking sheet and crumble the feta over it. But that's just personal taste. I had to use red wine, as we didn't have any white in the house. it gave a bit of a weird color, but the taste was still very good. Made for ZWT4. Thanks for posting.