Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
Found online; posting for ZWT6 (Greece/Cyprus) **Filling sitting overnight not included in prep/cooking time**
Pumpkin pie filling
- 3 cups diced butternut pumpkin
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup peanut oil or 1⁄4 cup corn oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pn ground cloves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 cups plain flour
- 1 pn salt
- 3⁄4 cup peanut oil or 3⁄4 cup corn oil
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- beaten egg, & milk for glaze
- Peel pumpkin, remove seeds and cut into 5 mm (1/4 inch) dice. Measure and place diced pumpkin into a bowl.
- Add remaining filling ingredients, stir to combine, cover and leave for 12 hours or overnight.
- Sift flour and salt into a mixing bowl, add oil and rub in with fingertips until distributed evenly.
- Add water and lemon juice and mix to a firm dough.
- Knead lightly, cover and leave to rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll out dough thinly (about the thickness of a normal pie crust) and cut into 15 cm (6 inch) rounds.
- Take a round of pastry and moisten edges with a little water.
- Place a good tablespoonful of filling in center, fold over and press edges to seal well.
- Flute edge with fingers or press with tines of fork.
- Place finished pies on lightly greased baking trays and glaze tops with an.
- egg beaten with a little milk.
- Bake in a hot oven (400 degreed F) for 10 minutes, reduce to moderate (350 degrees F) and bake for further 20 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold.
These are unusual flavour, best eaten cold. The pastry was very hard when cooked, the filling neither sweet or savory. Made for ZWT 6.