Prep 40 mins
Cook 50 mins
A spicy chicken curry that comes from the Indian state of Maharashtra. Hot and spicy and very yummy! I personally like to add even more chili and make it even spicier!
- 1 kg whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 2⁄3 cup yogurt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 4 teaspoons red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons corn oil or 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 pieces cinnamon
- 6 cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons flaked desiccated coconut
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 2 teaspoons cilantro, chopped
- salt, to taste
- Mix turmeric powder, red chili powder, garlic paste, salt and lime juice with yogurt.
- Add the chicken pieces to the mixture and marinate for half an hour.
- Heat oil in pan. Add bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves. black pepper and chopped onions. Saute till onions turn translucent.
- Add coconut flakes and stir till they turn very light brown .
- Add tomatoes. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Cool the mixture and puree it to get the Kolhapur masala.
- In another pan, heat oil and add the marinated chicken to it along with the marinade. Cook for 25 minutes on low heat. Stir frequently.
- Add the pureed paste and simmer on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot with rice or tandoori roti.