Recipe by Sydney Mike
Yet another recipe from eastern Europe that I found on the internet, and will be using when I take the Zaar World Tour 4! [NOTE: The preserves used could be strawberry, apricot, raspberry, whatever!] Preparation time does not include time needed for dough to chill!
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 lb cream cheese, softened
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (or more)
- 1⁄2 cup fruit preserves (or less)
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (more or less)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl (and using a wooden spoon, your hands or electric mixer) combine butter and cream cheese; stir in salt.
- Gradually add flour, making a sticky dough.
- Sprinkle outside of dough with flour, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (or up to 24 hours).
- When dough has chilled, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Working with 1/4 of the dough at a time, roll it out to less than 1/4" thickness, using flour as necessary to prevent sticking.
- Cut into 2" squares and put a dollop of preserves in center of each square.
- Spread preserves across the diagonal, stopping SHORT of the edges.
- Either roll up and seal, or fold into triangles. If the latter, bring corners up together, and pinch across the center.
- Brush with egg whites and sprinkle with sugar, before placing on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes; cool slightly or completely before serving.