Recipe by CoolMonday
Call these cookies whatever you want but there are very small differences... This recipe was given to me by my Slovakian MIL... I must admit that I bought some of the fillings premade one year but I usually make my own. ... but they are delicious anyway... Check the Jewish or International section of your grocery store for premade.. The brand name is SOLO.... This will take several hours to prepare and cook... You can cut the dough recipe in half or quarter if you wish to make less.
Top Review by Nikoma
This is a keeper. Much easier to work with then some other kolachy doughs I've tried. Very flakey and light. I made the apricot filling and love it! I also tried the cream cheese filling completely out of curiousity (only planned on making a couple to try, ended up sending my friend to the store for more cream cheese at 1am lol) We call the cream cheese filled ones "smiles" because they puff up and show the white filling but it doesn't run out at all! Delicious. I also made poppyseed but used store bought filling...which ran everywhere...next time I'll try your recipe. I couldn't get the hang of making these from squares so I cut circles and folded over. Half recipe gave me about 5 1/2 dozen. I'll dfinately be useing this again, and trying the rest of your fillings.
- 24 ounces cream cheese (3 pkgs)
- 2 lbs butter
- 8 cups flour
Filling A walnut
- 1⁄2 lb walnuts, chopped fine
- honey, enuff to bind
Filling B Lekvar
- 1 1⁄2 cups pitted prunes, tightly packed
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
Filling C apricot or peach
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried fruit
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1 teaspoon almond extract
Filling D Cream Cheese
- 16 ounces cream cheese (2 pkgs)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Filling E Pineapple
- 1 (16 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
Filling F Cherry-Choc-nut
- 1 cup drained canned sweet cherries
- 1⁄4 cup semisweet chocolate, chopped fine
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped fine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
Filling G poppyseed
- 2 cups scalded milk
- 1 lb ground poppy seed
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- COOKIE DOUGH_____________ Allow cream cheese and butter to soften to room temperature Mix till well Blended.
- Add Flour a little at a time and mix in till well blended.
- Divide into balls. one ball for each filling you will make and wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Using one ball at a time, Roll out square about 1/8 inch thick on board sprinkled with flour or confectioners sugar or a combination. You can cut the dough into 2 inch squares and place a little filling on each square and fold the dough over. As a time saver, I place a little filling in a line across the bottom of the dough and roll till filling is covered. Should be about 1/2 inch in diameter (or a little more).
- With a knife, cut through the dough at that point and cut the roll into 1 1/2 to 2 inch pieces. Then place a little filling in a line across what is now the bottom and repeat steps.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake for about 20 minutes.
- (I found that they were better if I turned them over after about 10 minutes) Check them at 10 and see how they are doing on the bottom.
- Cool for a couple of minutes then place on wire rack to cool.
- FILLING A (walnut) Mix ingredients until blended.
- FILLING B (Lekvar) Simmer ingredients (except brown sugar) covered for 25-30 minutes until very soft and most of the water is evaporated Uncover last few minutes if necessary remove from heat and mash Stir in brown sugar will keep in refrigerator for a long time in a covered jar Lekvar can be purchased in the Jewish section of grocery store already made.
- FILLING C (Apricot or Peach) Place fruit in medium saucepan and cover with water until about an inch over the fruit bring to boil and reduce to simmer for 35- 45 minutes until very tender mash until fruit is smooth Add cinnamon and vanilla add 1/2 cup sugar to taste-- and more if desired.
- FILLING D (Cream Cheese). Allow Cream Cheese to soften to room temperature. Mix all ingredients until well blended.
- FILLING E (Pineapple). Combine, Cook until thick, cool.
- FILLING F (Cherry-Choc-nut). Chop cherries in food processor until finely chopped. Add remaining ingredients and blend well.
- FILLING G (poppyseed) -- Mix together and set aside till milk is absorbed and mixture is cooled.