Recipe by Starfire (aka Wendy)
"This is a family favorite made easy. Preparing the dough in a bread machine saves time kneading the dough by hand."
Top Review by KlynnPadilla
Good. Mine didn't rise as well as I expected. I also would have liked the dough to be a bit sweeter, I'll increase the sugar next time. I plan on using apricot filling, as well. Thanks for the recipe!
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄3 cup powdered milk
- 1⁄4 cup instant potato flakes
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 7⁄8 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 (12 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 1 (12 ounce) can poppy seed filling
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Place water, softened butter, egg, egg yolk, milk powder, potato flakes, sugar, salt, flour and yeast in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer.
- Select Dough cycle; press Start. Check dough after 5 minutes of mixing, adding 1 to 2 tablespoons of water if necessary.
- When the cycle is complete, spoon out dough with tablespoon and roll into walnut sized balls. Place 2 inches apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Flatten balls slightly with the palm of your and make a depression in center with your thumb. Fill with 1 tablespoon of filling. Cover and let rise for about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Bake in preheated oven for 13 to 15 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove from oven and brush with melted butter. Cool on wire rack.