Recipe by Thorsten
Kokosmakronen are very typical German Christmas Cookies. Traditional Kokosmakronen are nt using lemon peel in the dough. But it adds a fresh note to the coconut cookies. You can decorate the cookies with icing chocolate. I use a whole milk chocolate of a good quality. The method of heating the egg white mixture to 70°C will give the cookies more stand during baking and the keep their shape much better. If you don't have a suited icing bag you could spoon the dough on the wafers.
Top Review by steph b.
YUM! this turned out just like your german grandmas<br/>I cut the sugar down to 150 grams and it was perfect<br/>by the way 70 degrees celsius is very hot, it may take some time but you will notice the eggs get a bit thicker ... but not too thick. Once you take it off the burner and it cools it should thicken up some more<br/>I also baked mine a bit longer too.... make sure they are golden brown on the outside<br/><br/>lecke ! definitely will make these time and time again
- 120 g coconut flakes
- 250 g sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 30 g flour
- baking wafers (4 cm in diameter)
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of, grated
- chocolate frosting (for decoration) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare a water bath. The water should cook lightly.
- In a bowl mix egg whites and sugar. Place the bowl in the hot water bath and mix to dissolve sugar.
- Add coconut flakes and mix. Heat the coconut mixture to a temperature of 70 C (use a cooking thermometer to control temperature) stirring frequently.
- Remove from water bath, add flour and mix again. If you like you can now add the grated lemon peel to this mixture.
- Let cool to room temperature again.
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Place baking wafers on baking tray.
- Use an icing bag with large opening to place little dough dollops on the wafers. Leave a little rim, because while baking the cookies will flatten a bit.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Then open the oven a little and bake for another 5 minutes.
- The cookies should remain light in color and just a bit browned.
- If you like you can decorate the Kokosmakronen with icing chocolate.
- NOTE on chocolate decoration: preheat 2/3 of the chocolate in a water bath until fluid. Take out of water bath and add the rest of chocolate. Heat it again but just until chocolate is dissolved. Dip Kokosmakronen into the chocolate or drizzle over the cookies by using an icing bag.
- NOTE on wafers: If you don't have wafers at hand, you could spoon the dough directly on baking paper, but it might be tricky to remove the cookies from it later, because they stick to it.