1/3 Photos of Kokosmakronen (German Coconut Macaroons)
Kokosmakronen are very typical German Christmas Cookies. Traditional Kokosmakronen are nt using lemon peel in the dough. But it adds a fresh note to the coconut cookies. You can decorate the cookies with icing chocolate. I use a whole milk chocolate of a good quality. The method of heating the egg white mixture to 70°C will give the cookies more stand during baking and the keep their shape much better. If you don't have a suited icing bag you could spoon the dough on the wafers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Prepare a water bath. The water should cook lightly.
- 2In a bowl mix egg whites and sugar. Place the bowl in the hot water bath and mix to dissolve sugar.
- 3Add coconut flakes and mix. Heat the coconut mixture to a temperature of 70 C (use a cooking thermometer to control temperature) stirring frequently.
- 4Remove from water bath, add flour and mix again. If you like you can now add the grated lemon peel to this mixture.
- 5Let cool to room temperature again.
- 6Preheat oven to 160°C.
- 7Place baking wafers on baking tray.
- 8Use an icing bag with large opening to place little dough dollops on the wafers. Leave a little rim, because while baking the cookies will flatten a bit.
- 9Bake for 10 minutes. Then open the oven a little and bake for another 5 minutes.
- 10The cookies should remain light in color and just a bit browned.
- 11If you like you can decorate the Kokosmakronen with icing chocolate.
- 12NOTE on chocolate decoration: preheat 2/3 of the chocolate in a water bath until fluid. Take out of water bath and add the rest of chocolate. Heat it again but just until chocolate is dissolved. Dip Kokosmakronen into the chocolate or drizzle over the cookies by using an icing bag.
- 13NOTE on wafers: If you don't have wafers at hand, you could spoon the dough directly on baking paper, but it might be tricky to remove the cookies from it later, because they stick to it.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kokosmakronen (German Coconut Macaroons)
Serving Size: 1 (532 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 56.4
- Calories from Fat 10
- Total Fat 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 18.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 0.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of