Prep 20 mins
Cook 24 hrs
A popular Fijian fish dish (pronounced ko-konda), similar to Tahiti's poisson cru.
- 500 g white fish fillets (walu, kawakawa, rockcod, or mahimahi)
- 3 large limes or 3 large lemons
- 1 cup fresh coconut cream
- 1 large onion (minced or chopped fine)
- 1 strong chili pepper (or teaspoon Tabasco)
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 large capsicum, diced (green pepper)
- 1 pinch salt
- Cut fish into bite-sized pieces.
- Marinate overnight in juice of limes and salt.
- Add coconut cream, chopped onion and chilli just before serving.
- Decorate with tomato and capsicum. Serve in a large bowl, or as individual servings on a bed of lettuce in a coconut half-shell (bilo).
- Note: if you refrigerate the kokoda for too long after combining the ingredients, the coconut cream will solidify.