Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A flavorful German side dish posted in response to a recipe request.
- 2 lbs cabbage (1 head)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 small apples, tart
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- Shred the cabbage.
- Heat vegetable oil in a Dutch oven, add cabbage, and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and caraway seeds.
- Pour in the beef broth and cover, simmer over low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile peel, quarter, core and cut apples into thin wedges.
- Add to cabbage and simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Blend cornstarch with cold water, add to cabbage, and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Season with vinegar and sugar just before serving.
- Serve hot.
This is a delicious way to prepare cabbage and is similar to the cabbage dish that my mom made for many of our Sunday dinners when I was growing up. The only thing I do differently is I don't add the corn starch mixture. The cabbage is perfect without it.