Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
These are little lamb/beef kebabs that are served like a sandwich on pita bread or nane lavash, your choice. Goes great with a salad and rice pilaf to complement the meal.
For the Kebabs
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1⁄2 lb ground chuck
- 1 large onion, minced
- 3⁄4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
For the Cucumber-Mint Sauce
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cucumber, peeled,seeded,and diced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 pita bread or 4 nane lavash bread, warmed
- Mix together yogurt, cucumber, mint, salt, and garlic for the cucumber-mint sauce in a small bowl and keep chilled while preparing kebabs.
- Combine ingredients for kebabs in a bowl and mix together, squeezing with fingers to incorporate until smooth.
- Shape the meat into 8 flat torpedo shapes, about 5-inches long by 2-inches wide.
- Prepare grill or heat skillet.
- Cook kebabs for 6-8 minutes, turning to cook all sides.
- Serve 2 kebabs on each pita or lavash with cucumber-mint sauce.
I grew up eating Kafta. This is a good recipe except that to have it the Lebanese way, I used all beef meat, omitted the cumin and chili powder. Used instead 1 teaspoon allspice. The sauce is also very nice, you can also use dried mint (1 tsp), if destired.
We loved this! Will be on our summer rotation for sure. Thanks Sue!