Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
A really lovely meal that we discovered. It is so easy to make and tastes great.
Make and share this Kofta Curry recipe from Food.com.
- 1 onion, grated
- 2 teaspoons gingerroot, grated
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons of fresh mint, finely chopped
- 500 g ground beef
- 15 g ghee or 15 g oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 cup peeled tomatoes, chopped or 1 (14 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint, finely chopped
- Place the grated onion and 1 teaspoon of the ginger in a mixing bowl and stir in the breadcrumbs, 1/2 teaspoon of garam masala, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, the egg and 2 teaspoons finely chopped mint.
- Leave for 5 minutes then add the beef and mix thoroughly.
- Stand for 15 minutes and mix again, then shape into balls the size of a walnut.
- Heat the ghee in a saucepan and brown the meatballs on all sides.
- Remove to a plate, leaving the oil in the pan.
- Reduce the heat, add the onion and cook gently until soft.
- Add the garlic, the remaining ginger and curry powder, stir well and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and stock, return the meatballs, cover and simmer for 30 minutes until the meatballs are tender and the sauce is thick.
- Stir in the remaining garam masala and fresh mint.
- Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes and adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Serve with boiled rice; yoghurt mixed with chopped mint, crushed garlic and sliced cucumber; banana slices mixed with coconut, and sliced tomatoes mixed with chopped spring onions (scallions) and a little vinegar.