Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are delicious!!! The best ones I've ever made. The secret is to knead the mixture for about 10 minutes. Great on the grill or baked in the oven.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed into a paste
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika or 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine the onions and garlic with the beef and begin to knead.
- Add the spices and knead with wet hands for 10 to fifteen minutes, or until it is very VERY smooth.
- Mold into small sausage shapes.
- Either cook on the grill for about 10 minutes, or broil in the oven for fifteen.
- Great with tomato and cucumber salad, pita bread, hummus, yogurt and cucumber salad -- .
I am not giving these any stars because I deviated from the recipe. I did not have sweet paprika so I omitted this spice; I added a little dried mint (1/2 t) and added 1/4 cup of toasted chopped pine nuts. The taste of the finished result is very cumin-spicy... not really firey, more like heartburn in a bite. I am very disappointed, clearly the sweet paprika is a definite requirement. I kneaded for 15 minutes for nothing... sob.
We just loved this recipe. I used 97% lean ground beef which can be dry, but the grated onion and crushed garlic paste solved that problem. I molded them onto skewers and grilled them. for dietary reasons I cut back the salt to 1/4 tsp. and found the spice mixture to be perfect. Thank you Transylmania for shring the recipe.
Loved the recipe! I have made it a couple times, and have had to reduce the amount of cayenne significantly because I have kids, and although I liked the heat, they didn't. Even with the adjustments, it tastes great!