This is a spicy syrup donut that has it's origins in the malay community in cape town, South Africa. Every family has its own version and sunday mornings aint sunday mornings if there are not warm koeksusters with coffee on the table.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 (10 g) packet dried yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried orange peel (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 egg
- 75 g butter or 75 g margarine
- lukewarm milk (and water mixed ,enough to make a soft dough as for bread)
- oil (for deep frying)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut (or more)
- 1Sift flour and spices into a bowl.
- 2Add salt and sugar.
- 3Add yeast mix to combine.
- 4Beat egg. Add egg and butter/ marg and rub into flour until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- 5Add enough milk/water mixture to make a soft pliable dough like for bread or doughnuts.
- 6Knead for 10 minutes( this can be done in mixer or bread machine.
- 7Cover and let rise for 1 hour until double in bulk.
- 8After rising knock down and roll dough in to long log. Cut dough into 5 cm pieces and shape in to an oblong shape.
- 9or make into balls.
- 10Put onto a greased tray and let rise for 20 minutes or double in size.
- 11deep fry in oil as you would for doughnuts until brown.
- 12Put some coconut in a plate.
- 13Prepare syrup.
- 14Put sugar in saucepan add water and stir till sugar has dissolved.
- 15Add whole spices if using and bring to a boil.
- 16Boil for 5 minutes.
- 17Bring syrup to a simmer and add doughnuts one or two at a time.
- 18let them simmer on each side for 30 seconds upto a minute.
- 19Take out and immediatly roll into some cocunut.
- 20Place into a clean platter and serve.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Koeksusters ( Spicy Syrupy Doughnuts)
Serving Size: 1 (142 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 583.8
- Calories from Fat 122
- Total Fat 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 57.7 mg
- Sodium 512.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 108.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 52.7 g
- Protein 7.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: