Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
South African Donuts
- 4 cups flour
- 4 potatoes (1/2 lb)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup milk (warm)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 ounce dried yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated naartjie peel (orange rind will do)
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- dessicated unsweetened coconut, for rolling
- Cook potatoes and mash whilst hot.
- Combine water, yeast and 2 tbsp sugar until frothy.
- Sift flour, salt, spices add grated peel and sugar.
- Cream butter/margarine; add eggs, then mashed potatoes.
- Add milk to yeast mixture and then to potato mix.
- Combine all ingredients and knead dough until smooth.
- Let rise until doubled
- Roll dough out thick and use appropriate cutters or you could braid them.
- Let rise approx 30 minutes.
- Heat oil to°F and fry doughnuts on both sides until golden.
- Drain and dip in syrup.
- THE SYRUP.
- Mix water and sugar together and simmer until sticky (use low heat).
- Steep Koeksusters in sugar syrup, allowing them to absorb the sugar syrup.
- Remove the donuts and roll in coconut.