South African Donuts
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups flour
- 4 potatoes (1/2 lb)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup milk (warm)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1/4 ounce dried yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated naartjie peel (orange rind will do)
- 1Cook potatoes and mash whilst hot.
- 2Combine water, yeast and 2 tbsp sugar until frothy.
- 3Sift flour, salt, spices add grated peel and sugar.
- 4Cream butter/margarine; add eggs, then mashed potatoes.
- 5Add milk to yeast mixture and then to potato mix.
- 6Combine all ingredients and knead dough until smooth.
- 7Let rise until doubled
- 8Roll dough out thick and use appropriate cutters or you could braid them.
- 9Let rise approx 30 minutes.
- 10Heat oil to°F and fry doughnuts on both sides until golden.
- 11Drain and dip in syrup.
- 12THE SYRUP.
- 13Mix water and sugar together and simmer until sticky (use low heat).
- 14Steep Koeksusters in sugar syrup, allowing them to absorb the sugar syrup.
- 15Remove the donuts and roll in coconut.
Browse Our Top South African Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Koeksusters
Serving Size: 1 (75 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 36
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 155.7
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 14.1 mg
- Sodium 77.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 15.5 g
- Protein 2.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: