1/3 Photos of Koeksisters (South African Syrup-Soaked Fritters)
This recipe was given to me by my South African cousin a long, long time ago. They are delicious little fritters (atleast the way she makes them) that are soaked in a spicy syrup. We have them with tea.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 500 g cake flour
- 2 ml salt
- 20 ml baking powder
- 125 g butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- oil (for deep frying)
- 1Prepare syrup the day before making the koeksisters and chill thoroughly.
- 2Dissolve sugar in water over medium heat.
- 3Add spices and knob of ginger.
- 4Boil together for 10 minutes.
- 5Sift flour, salt and baking powder into a bowl.
- 6Rub in butter finely, add beaten eggs with enough milk to blend into a stiff dough.
- 7Chill dough in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- 8Roll out to 5 mm (1/4 inch?) thick and cut into strips approximately 70 x 30 mm (3 x 1 inches).
- 9With a sharp knife, cut each strip into 3 smaller ones, leaving them attached at one end.
- 10Plait (braid) loosely and pinch ends to secure.
- 11Drop a few at a time into hot oil.
- 12Cook until lightly-browned and puffed.
- 13Lift out and drain for just 1 minute of crumpled paper towels, then drop at once into chilled syrup.
- 14Soak in syrup, lift out and drain in a sieve until dry.
- 15Note: I'm sure my cousin got a larger yield than this, she made hers very small and dainty.
- 16You can make them the size that suits your needs and aesthetics.
- 17I like them small and dainty, but that's the only way I've ever had them.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Koeksisters (South African Syrup-Soaked Fritters)
Serving Size: 1 (2056 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 321.4
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 34.5 mg
- Sodium 163.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 37.6 g
- Protein 3.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: