- 500 g cake flour
- 2 ml salt
- 20 ml baking powder
- 125 g butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- oil (for deep frying)
- 750 g sugar
- 375 ml water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 inches ginger, peeled
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare syrup the day before making the koeksisters and chill thoroughly.
- Dissolve sugar in water over medium heat.
- Add spices and knob of ginger.
- Boil together for 10 minutes.
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder into a bowl.
- Rub in butter finely, add beaten eggs with enough milk to blend into a stiff dough.
- Chill dough in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Roll out to 5 mm (1/4 inch?) thick and cut into strips approximately 70 x 30 mm (3 x 1 inches).
- With a sharp knife, cut each strip into 3 smaller ones, leaving them attached at one end.
- Plait (braid) loosely and pinch ends to secure.
- Drop a few at a time into hot oil.
- Cook until lightly-browned and puffed.
- Lift out and drain for just 1 minute of crumpled paper towels, then drop at once into chilled syrup.
- Soak in syrup, lift out and drain in a sieve until dry.
- Note: I'm sure my cousin got a larger yield than this, she made hers very small and dainty.
- You can make them the size that suits your needs and aesthetics.
- I like them small and dainty, but that's the only way I've ever had them.