1/1 Photo of Koeksisters
1 hr 10 mins
Chef Byrone's Note:
This is a South African recipe, from one of my mom's ancient cook-books.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1First make syrup. Heat water in saucepan, add sugar and stir until dissolved.
- 2Add cream of tartar, ginger and cinamon.
- 3Boil uncovered for 5 minutes. Do not stir.
- 4Remove from stove and chill.
- 5While syrup is chilling, make the koeksisters.
- 6Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
- 7Add butter and rub it in with fingertips until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- 8Beat eggs and milk together and add to dry ingredients.
- 9Mix dough well then knead lightly for 2 minutes to make it pliable.
- 10Cover basin with wax paper and leave for 1 hour.
- 11Roll out dough to 1cm thick.
- 12Cut strips (rectangles) 8cm x 4 cm, then make 2 vertical cuts in each strip, starting 5mm from the top and cutting down right to the bottom.
- 13Plait strips loosely and secure at loose end.
- 14Heat oil to 190C and deep-fry koeksisters for 1 minute. Not too many at once.
- 15Remove from oil and drain on paper towel for 1 minute and then dip in syrup for until soaked (1 minute).
- 16Remove from syrup and place on dish to dry.
Nutritional Facts for Koeksisters
Serving Size: 1 (95 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 259.9
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 23.2 mg
- Sodium 153.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 33.4 g
- Protein 3.2 g