This is a South African recipe, from one of my mom's ancient cook-books.
Make and share this Koeksisters recipe from Food.com.
- First make syrup. Heat water in saucepan, add sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Add cream of tartar, ginger and cinamon.
- Boil uncovered for 5 minutes. Do not stir.
- Remove from stove and chill.
- While syrup is chilling, make the koeksisters.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Add butter and rub it in with fingertips until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Beat eggs and milk together and add to dry ingredients.
- Mix dough well then knead lightly for 2 minutes to make it pliable.
- Cover basin with wax paper and leave for 1 hour.
- Roll out dough to 1cm thick.
- Cut strips (rectangles) 8cm x 4 cm, then make 2 vertical cuts in each strip, starting 5mm from the top and cutting down right to the bottom.
- Plait strips loosely and secure at loose end.
- Heat oil to 190C and deep-fry koeksisters for 1 minute. Not too many at once.
- Remove from oil and drain on paper towel for 1 minute and then dip in syrup for until soaked (1 minute).
- Remove from syrup and place on dish to dry.