Recipe by internetnut
I have not tried this recipe. I got it from Family Time Daily Dish. Cheddar cheese can be used in place of the jack cheese.
- 1⁄3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 teaspoon red pepper sauce, such as Tabasco (optional)
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- grated monterey jack cheese, for topping (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar and garlic powder and set aside.
- In another bowl, stir together the tomato sauce, ketchup, tomato paste, and Worcestershire sauce and set aside.
- Chop the onions into 1/2 to 1/4-inch-wide pieces. Cut the peppers in half and remove the seeds and ribs. Chop the peppers into pieces about the same size as the onions. Set these aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the meat, breaking it up and spreading it around with a long-handled fork or wooden spoon. The meat will begin to lose its pinkness. Drain the fat from the pan.
- Add the brown sugar mixture and the onions and peppers and cook for 7 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally to mix, until the vegetables soften. Stir in the tomato sauce mixture. Flavor to taste with red pepper sauce, if desired.
- Reduce the heat and let the mixture simmer for 5 to 10 minutes longer, or until the sauce thickens. Stir occasionally.