Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
A beautifully understaded cake with texture from wholemeal flour and chopped bits of your favourite chocolates, topped with a real chocolate frosting.
For the Cake
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate, roughly chopped
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 eggs, well beaten
For the Frosting
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- Preheat the oven to 180 C or 350 F (slightly less for fan assisted). Grease 8 inch cake tin or pan.
- Use your favourite chocolates. Any good chocolate will bring yummy results!
- In a bowl, beat butter till it's fluffy. Beat in the brown sugar.
- In seperate bowl, mix flour and baking powder.
- Mix flour into butter mixture alternately with beaten eggs.
- Pour mixture into cake tin or pan. A little at a time, sprinkle chocoaltes on top, and press them carefully into the mixture, not too far near the bottom.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- After cake has cooled, in a double boiler melt butter, add chocolates JUST UNTIL MELTED. Spread onto cooled cake.
- You can pick and mix, perhaps use milk chocolates in the cake and dark on top, etc.
- Also, you can forego the chocolates and be very creative! This cake is BEAUTIFUL with crushed lavender and rosemary and no frosting, or with pine nuts and chopped dates for Christmas. We also like to cut the cake in half and use homemade fruit preserves instead.