Recipe by Elisa72
These gelatine-based candies are an easy-to-make treat! I remember my friend's mother making them in red and green at Christmas time, back in the 1960's. The recipe has been around since at least the 1930's, although it originally called for only 4 envelopes of gelatine. I do not add the optional salt. This is from the Kraft Foods website at kraftfoods.com.
- 12 1⁄2 teaspoons knox unflavored gelatin (5 envelopes)
- 2 cups cold water
- 4 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 4 teaspoons orange extract or 4 teaspoons lemon extract or 4 teaspoons other extract
- food coloring (optional)
- powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- SPRINKLE gelatine over cold water in 4-quart saucepan; let stand 1 minute.
- Cook on low heat 5 minutes or until gelatine is completely dissolved, stirring frequently.
- Add sugar and salt; stir.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Bring just to boil. Cook until gelatine is dissolved, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer, without stirring, 15 minutes.
- Stir in extract and food coloring.
- POUR into 8-inch square pan.
- Refrigerate 3 hours or until set.
- DUST cutting board heavily with powdered sugar. With tip of wet sharp knife, loosen gelatine from sides of pan.
- Briefly dip bottom of pan in hot water; unmold gelatine onto cutting board.
- Dust top of gelatine with powdered sugar; cut into 1-inch squares.
- Roll squares in additional powdered sugar. Store in tightly covered container in refrigerator.