Recipe by Scarlett516
This recipe calls for the Knoedel to be baked in a dish, like a bread pudding. However, the traditional way to cook the dumplings is to form them into a ball, chill for 30 minutes to overnight, then boil in water until cooked. You may modify this recipe to boil the dumpling balls if you wish. Serve with stew or gravy.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 lb white bread, stale
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- If you do not have stale bread, leave the bread out to dry overnight, or dry in the oven on low. The bread should be in cubes and put into a bowl.
- Butter a 9"x13" baking dish.
- In a skillet, brown the onion, parsley, and butter over medium heat. Pour over the bread crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper.
- Pour over the bread crumbs and mix well before leaving to stand for 1 hour.
- Fill a large pot with 3" of water. Place a rack in the pot, then put the baking dish on the rack. Cover and steam for 1 hour.
- Remove from rack and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Drizzle with melted butter before serving.