Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love knishes...my nose,eyes and mouth...my figure hates them! So I have put together a recipe I believe is lower in calories and still tasting like a knishe.
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 1 large egg
- 3⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 medium white onions or 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- canola oil cooking spray or olive oil flavored cooking spray
- Peel and cube potatoes.
- Cook in water using 1 tsp salt until fork tender.
- Drain and replace in hot pot to dry; set aside.
- Peel and slice onion into thin rings.
- Halve the rings.
- Sauté onions slowly in one tablespoon olive oil.
- Stir frequently and allow to caramelize.
- Remove from heat and mince.
- While onions are cooking, combine baking powder, 1 tsp salt, garlic powder, paprika, and flour in bowl.
- Mash potatoes in pot.
- Add minced onions.
- In small bowl beat egg and egg substitute together.
- Add to mashed potatoes, incorporating fully.
- Add flour mixture in three or more parts, mixing each part in before adding the next.
- Use wooden spoon to start and, if too stiff, continue using your clean hands.
- Cover dough and let rest 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly spray cookie sheet and your hands.
- Make golf size (or slightly larger) balls.
- Place and press down lightly making a patty.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Serve with a spicy mustard.
- These should freeze very nicely.