Recipe by Bec
Use a gas grill with lots of power- at least 40,000 BTUs for this hearty salad drizzled with lemon vinaigrette.
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 1 large onion, sliecd 1/2 inch thick
- 2 small eggplants, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 2 (6 ounce) zucchini, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 2 (6 ounce) yellow squash, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, quartered lengthwise (1 1/4 pounds)
- 1⁄4 lb fresh goat cheese, crumbled (1 cup)
Directions See How It's Made
- Light a grill.
- In a mortar, pound the halved garlic to a paste with 1 teaspoon salt- Stir in 3 tablespoons of the olive oil and the lemon juice.
- In a small skillet, cook the pine nuts over moderate heat until toasted, about 3 minutes.
- Thread the onion slices onto two parallel 10-inch skewers.
- Put the eggplant, zucchini and yellow squash slices on 2 large rimmed baking sheets; brush both sides with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the bell peppers and lettuce with olive oil.
- Grill the vegetables over a medium hot fire, turning occasionally, until lightly charred and just tender.
- The onion will take about 5 minutes per side; the eggplant, zucchini and squast, about 3 minutes per side; the peppers, about 3 minutes on each of 4 sides; the lettuce wedges, about 1 minute per side.
- Scrape the charred skin from the peppers, discard the stems and seeds and cut into strips.
- Put a lettuce wedge on each plate, then mound the vegetables on the lettuce and sprinkle with the feta cheese and toasted pine nuts.
- Pass the lemon vinaigrette at the table.