Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I got this recipe years ago from a coworker, who got it from her German grandmother. It's a tasty German, meatless dish.
- 4 -5 medium potatoes, sliced
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 -3 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 -3 onions, sliced
- butter (for cooking)
- longhorn cheese or cheddar cheese, grated (as much as you want)
- Cook the potatoes in salted water until done.
- Mix together the flour, salt, baking powder, eggs and approximately 1/3 cup water (use enough water to make dough the right consistency for small drop dumplings).
- Drop the mixture into boiling salted water.
- Cook 15-20 minutes or until dumplings are done in the center.
- While they are cooking, saute 2 or 3 sliced onions in butter and grate Longhorn or cheddar cheese.
- When potatoes and dumplings are done, drain and mix together gently.
- Alternate a layer of potatoes and dumplings, and a layer of cheese, beginning and ending with potatoes and dumplings.
- Spread sauted onions and butter over top.
- Serve immediately.
This was superyummy! I will definitely be making this over & over. Only thing I did differently was not mix the potatoes & dumplings together (I sliced my potatoes in rounds). So I did one layer of potatoes, top with half onions & cheese, dumplings on top of that, rest of the onions & cheese and then finishing with a layer of potatoes again on top. Sprinkled with a bit of cheese and then I put it in the oven for about 30 minutes.
I really enjoyed this recipe. My DD cleaned her plate she even ate the onions. DH liked it to.