Prep 50 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 liters vegetable oil, for frying.
- 1 cup confectioners powdered icing sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until light and pale yellow.
- Add in the vanilla, salt, and the cream.
- Add the flour and beat well and thoroughly.
- This dough will be very stiff.
- On a floured surface kneed for ten minutes.
- (if your mixer has a dough hook it can be done that way also.) Preheat oil to 375 degrees.
- Pinch off the size of a large marble, and roll out thinly as possible.
- Should be about 4 inches or so.
- Cover your knees with a tea towel, and stretch the dough over the knee in the sitting position and stretch dough very thin.
- Cook two at a time in the hot fat, until golden brown.
- Turning once, takes about two minutes on each side.
- The dough will blister and puff up like a pita bread.
- Lift out each and shake extra oil off well.
- Drain on paper towels.
- When all the stretching, and deep frying is done, and cookies are cooled, then combine the icing powder and cinnamon, sift over the cookie lightly, on the top of each.
- These are eaten the same day.
- They do not keep well.