Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
You can't go to Palestine and not eat knafeh every night! Very delicious dessert that is easy to make :) A syrian sweet cheese is normally used with this, some people use ricotta cheese but it changes the taste and consistency of this dish, but it can be used. I make my own cheese and do not add salt to it so I can use it with this recipe, but store bought sweet cheese works just fine :)
- 1 lb shredded phyllo dough (knafeh dough)
- 2 lbs sweet cheese
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup rendered butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom water
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon knafeh food coloring
- 1⁄4 cup pistachios, chopped
- 2 cups thin syrup (attar)
- Mix cheese, sugar, and orange blossom water together.
- Chop knafeh dough with a sharp knife. Mix with 1 3/4 cups hot butter over low fire for 15 minutes, or until dough absorbs all the butter.
- Mix 1/4 cup butter, knafeh coloring, and spread in a 17x12 inch pan. Sprinkle pine nuts evenly.
- Spread 2/3 of the dough in the pan over the nuts and press well. Spread the cheese mixture over dough evenly. Cover with the rest of the dough and press well.
- Bake at 400 degrees in a preheated oven for 30 minutes. (Place on lower rack).
- Add thin attar. Flip the tray over in another tray of the same size. Return to the oven and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Garnish with pistachios and serve hot!