Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A great way to bump up dietary fiber and part of your five-a-day plan. Comfort food from the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 2 lbs cabbage, cut fine
- 4 medium onions, peeled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons bacon grease
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Butter a large pan and fill with alternate layers of cabbage and sliced onions.
- Season with salt, pepper and butter (or bacon grease).
- Cover pan, place over low heat and steam until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
Proof that simple isn't always boring. Cabbage-lovers will love this simply-prepared dish. I used 1 tbsp of butter and 1 tbsp of bacon fat. If you have the bacon fat, use it! I could easily eat this is a main dish as is. Thanx for posting this simple cabbage recipe!