1 hr 35 mins
Dreamer in Ontario's Note:
This cookie is one of Iraq's famous sweets. Recipe source: Toronto Star website. Time to make does not include 1 hour standing time. The time to make is an estimate. I didn't write it down when I made these cookies.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In saucepan, combine dates, butter, water, cardamom and cloves.
- 2Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes or until dates become a paste.
- 3Let stand at room temperature 1 hour.
- 4Meanwhile, in mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well; add shortening and milk. Knead into dough, adding more flour or milk if necessary.
- 5Divide dough into 4 parts then roll, one at a time, to about 1/4-inch thickness.
- 6Divide date paste into 4 parts and roll each out, between sheets of wax paper, to match dough size.
- 7Remove wax paper; place date layer on dough. (If date paste is too soft, gently spread each portion on dough with knife.)
- 8Roll into cylinder, jellyroll style.
- 9Slice rolls into 1-inch pieces and place on greased baking sheet.
- 10Bake in preheated 325F oven 35 minutes or until cookies begin to turn golden brown.
- 11Let cool.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Klaychah (Date Cookies)
Serving Size: 1 (46 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 175.5
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 10.5 mg
- Sodium 99.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 14.7 g
- Protein 1.6 g